To instruct candidates on correctly determining their roles and responsibilities when undertaking the duties of a Handsignaller. This person must hold a valid IWA or COSS competency. This course is designed to give candidates the knowledge and understanding of the duties of Handsignaller. HS is a 1- day classroom-based course. This course is for people whose job role will at some point require them to undertake the role of the Handsignaller.
- Welcome & Introduction
- Communicating Clearly
- Railway Signalling and Signal Identification
- Handsignalling Equipment
- Handsignalling Duties in Connection with Single Line Working
- Handsignalling Duties in Connection with Temporary Block Working
- Theory Assessment
- Practical and verbal assesment
- Post course objectives
- Delegates must hold a valid Sentinel Card endorsed with a valid COSS/IWA competence
- Candidates must hold a valid Medical and Drugs and Alcohol certificate issued by Network Rail
- Candidates must have a good command of the English language
- Candidates must be primary sponsored
Successful candidates will be notified to sentinel as being trained and assessed as competent and their sentinel card will be endorsed AOD - (HS). This competence will be valid for two years. To recertify candidates must ensure they complete a minimum of four shifts and record them in their work experience book – issued by Seaton Rail.