This is the entry-level qualification for anyone aged 16 years and over who wishes to work in the rail industry. The course includes working on lines that are either non-electrified or have Overhead Line Electrification (OLE). To work on lines electrified by DC electrification candidates will need to sit the PTS DCCR course.
- Introduction and Verification Exercise (The verification exercise is to confirm a candidate’s knowledge of the PTS E-Learning)
- Personal Responsibility
- AC Overhead Line Electrification
- Emergency Situations
- Communicating Clearly and Emergency Phone Calls
- COSS/SWL Briefing
- Track Visit and Practical Assessment
- Knowledge Assessment
- Before attending this course, candidates must have completed the PTS E-Learning Module
- Candidates must be a minimum age of 16
- Candidates must hold a valid Medical and Drugs and Alcohol certificate issued by Network Rail. A Drugs and Alcohol test must have been carried out no more then 12 months prior to attending a PTS initial training event.
- Candidates must have a good command of the English language
- Candidates must be primary sponsored
Upon successful completion of the course, PTS AC will be added to the candidates’ sentinel record. The primary sponsor can then request the sentinel track safety card – which usually takes around 10 days to arrive. PTS is valid for a period of two years. Initially, candidates will be in ‘learning support’ meaning that they are newly qualified and should always be supervised. Seaton Rail will issue candidates with a work experience book to record workplace experience and to assist sponsors in determining when learning support has been completed. In order to recertify, candidates must be out of learning support, have recorded a minimum of four shifts within 24 months and have undertaken a minimum of two-line manager reviews.
- 5th December 2019
- 2nd November 2019