The PC course is a 1-day course designed to train candidates in taking a line blockage and sharing the line blockage protection with other IWA/COSS’s. A Protection Controller must be appointed when a line blockage is required to be taken and shared by two or more COSSs or IWAs. The PC course will take candidates through the procedures as set out in Handbook 8 of the Rule Book, as well as highlighting the importance of using the correct communication protocols and adopting the appropriate behaviours to be able to carry out this role safely and effectively.
- Welcome & Introduction
- Verification Exercise
- Procedure for blocking the line and arranging protection
- Starting work, during work and change of PC, IWA or COSS
- When work needs to be completed or suspended
- When work is not completed or suspended
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment
- Post course objectives
- Delegates must hold a valid Sentinel Card endorsed with a full, valid COSS competence
- Candidates must hold a valid Medical and Drugs and Alcohol certificate issued by Network Rail
- Candidates must have a good command of the English language
- Candidates must be primary sponsored
Successful candidates will be notified to sentinel as being trained and assessed as competent and their sentinel card will be endorsed PC. This competence will be valid for two years. To recertify candidates must ensure they complete a minimum of four shifts and record them in their work experience book – issued by Seaton Rail. The PC competence is assessed and recertified in line with the parent COSS competence. Therefore, no additional assessment or recertification is required than what is with the COSS competence.